Twisted Genetics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An escape for those who need it.

2 posters

Fleeing Flames: A Failed Assassination

Codex
    Codex
    Cinnamon Tiefling

Fleeing Flames: A Failed Assassination Empty Fleeing Flames: A Failed Assassination

Post by Codex Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Danger approaches not only the floating city in the sky, but also the lands surrounding it, from the marshes below to the deserts reachable only by airship or train. The clairvoyant Tiefling Litayeth de Xilos has seen it for herself. She has seen fire, both dragon and demon, and she has misplaced her hopes in another Tiefling to put an end to their troubles: Zasha, a lost soul simply trying to get by until she can return to her home.

Her hope was that Zasha, a close friend of Mercy, the Fey'ri host to the demon Isoleda, would quash Isoleda's destruction before another land was flattened to ash. This turned out to not be the case, for while Zasha freed her monk friend Kyra from the control of the Red Dragon Malstryx through death, she allowed Mercy to walk away, hoping she could help save the young Fey'ri.

Lita learned the truth as Zasha fled to the desert. After an altercation that left Lita with a recoverable gash in her arm, the other Tiefling fled, likely to her home realm - effectively leaving Lita to try and usher her draconic companions - the Amethyst and Bronze Brood - to safety, along with any others that cross her path.

Their hopes lie on her, both to find Vetis and Jili'nakta's long lost grandson, but more importantly, to escape with their lives from a world on the verge of utter destruction. Jili has summoned her brood. They are moments from uniting (or in some cases, reuniting) with the blue Tiefling...
    Silvy Dean
    Silvy Dean
    The Fearless Leader

Fleeing Flames: A Failed Assassination Empty Re: Fleeing Flames: A Failed Assassination

Post by Silvy Dean Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Lita stood holding her arm as the other tiefling escaped. There was anger rising, but not toward Zasha. No, she knew she shouldn't have said even a fraction of what came out of her mouth. She was more angry with herself for misjudging the loyalty and humanity Zasha still held, if just in her friend. She looked down at her arm, moving her right hand just enough to look at the gash from Zasha's blade. Purple red blood seeping and dripping to the sand below. With a little effort, a cloth would be plucked by two fingers from her pouch, then wrapped haphazardly around the left forearm.

"I wish that I could promise, that we would never meet again. I cannot lie, fate has it's will." she muttered as if Zasha was still there. After struggling a moment in the sun, Lita moved to the shade of the rickety old tower for some relief. It was harder than it looked to bandage an arm with just one hand. Eventually giving in, teeth were included to pull it tight. Though, by the time the bandage was pulled tight, it was nearly soaked through. Wavering in one spot for a moment, Lita leaned against a old crate and looked back into the desolate outpost.

Next to a stall stood three figures. She instantly recognized all three. Reeha and her two children. For a moment she stood in awe of the three, then a fourth appeared. Reeha's son. He looked more like his father than any part of Reeha's side of the family. This caused Lita to frown, as she knew what was coming for the brood, and what effect it would cause the children. A slow gulp she pushed off of the crate and started to make her way toward the four figures.

"Dask, why are we awake? It's cold even here." Asked Dawnthie, the youngest. She most looked like the combo of her father and mother. Rather than full on metal scales, her skin looked more like raw brass ore and raw sapphire like nodes combined. Her mother had bronze scales and amethyst shards in a strong pattern all along her toffee colored skin. The oldest daughter, Sirii, had the same pattern of bronze scales but nothing else. While the son, Joonah, was pure topaz shards along his body.

"It is important that we always answer your grandmother's call. It sounded important, if not urgent, so no more..." there was a pause as Reeha caught sight of the blue tiefling making her way toward the group. She could smell the blood even. "Go, find your grandmother, northeast of here. I will be along in a moment..." She whispered to her children. They looked among one another, then one by one did as they were told. Though, only after daring to glance over at the multi blue toned, wounded figure. As the tiefling got closer, Reeha clasped her hands together, offering a soft polite grin. "Are you alright? Am I in your way?"

Lita shook her head slightly. "No to both questions, but we all will be soon as we gather." She offers the same soft polite smile back. The dragoness took a moment to inspect the female further before she merely flickered her eyes in the direction of the children. "That looks like a rather nasty wound..." Then it hit her. "What do you mean 'as -we- gather,'?" There was a moment of silence as Lita was at a loss for words, but it was clear Reeha was not about to back down from that curiosity. As the tiefling bit her lip in thought, trying to figure out how to word the entire situation, Reeha pushed into her mind. It was just a slight push, but woe the pain that followed nearly knocked them both to their ass.

Reeha found herself in someone's grasp holding her up as her vision started to return. "Are you alright? Lita, what did you do?" A deep metallic voice growled. "I didn't do it." The tiefling grunted back. "wha..." Reeha rubbed her temple trying to push herself up and away from the stranger holding her. Ears ringing and eyes slowly focusing after flashing white.

"I suggest you don't do that again." Lita grunted as she pressed herself up from a nearby barrel. "Actually... I beg you not to do that again." her voice sounding more pained. "Again, what the hell just happened?" Vetis demanded more than asked for the answer. By now Reeha was standing on her own to feet, though feeling as if the worlds most evil migraine just punched her square between the eyes and into her skull. "I.."

"Calm your scales, Vetis. I didn't have a chance to warn her about pressing into my mind." Lita barked though seemed to regret it almost instantly as a sharp pain pounded through her head. There was a moment of shock, however, through Reeha. That name... Her eyes flickered open wide, wings instantly puffed out and stiffened around her sides as she inspected the tall dark bronze scaled male that stood nearly a foot taller than her. His bright yellow eyes had a look of concern and worry as he held out his hands in her direction. "Are you alright, little one?" his raspy hollow metallic voice made her blink and back away. No.. that can't be him.

"I am fine.. if you both will excuse me." With those words, she was already spun on one heel, heart thumping in her chest and fear rising. Was she going mad like her mother had?

"Reeha!" He called, she would not stop. In fact it sparked the fight or flight to grow more rapid and she took off to the air. Deep breath, eyes watering and mentally calling for her mother.

Meanwhile, Lita stood watching the hazed figure leave then turning to Vetis as he seemed to slouch and stare off after Reeha. "She'll need a moment..." Her eyes shifted and squinted. "Here seems to come the other two...." Vetis turned, eyes stopping on the sight of Selly for a long moment, and fear starting to rise in his own heart of her reaction.

However, it wasn't her reaction that happened first, it was Ki'fel's.

"Vetis? Lita? ... Vetis?!" He would run up to greet both, snagging hold of Vetis' arm as if he were about to hug him, then stopping and offering his hand. "It has, I mean... I am sorry, for everything. I am so glad you made it! How?" Vetis blinked, glancing between Ki'fel and Selly then back to Lita as if to ask her help in explaining this. "Lita, it is good to see you as... what happened to your arm? Are you alright?" As Ki'fel reached to snag her arm for a better look, Lita recoiled and Vetis gripped hold of the steel dragon's wrist in a hardy shake.

"We don't have much time... to explain... we need to go to Jili and as we travel away from this doomed land, I will do my best to fill in what is missing." His eyes would go back to Selly as he would try to read her reaction.
    Codex
    Codex
    Cinnamon Tiefling

Fleeing Flames: A Failed Assassination Empty Re: Fleeing Flames: A Failed Assassination

Post by Codex Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:50 pm

When there wasn't much a mother and grandmother could do for her family, there were a variety of responses to choose from. Frustration. Determination. Fear. Jili pulled from all three of these as she stood in silence, seeming to stare off into nothingness. Her mind, however, was alert, 'watching' for those familiar blips of consciousness to appear near her. She was already cautiously aware of Lita, ever careful to not actually slip into her mind - and she of course saw Vetis. His mind always stood out to her, a welcome presence after all these years.

And then there they came. Reeha, Dawnthie, Sirii, and Joonah. Each had their own 'color' when she looked at them - so close and yet so varied. A different sort of panic came over her the closer Vetis came to them. It would be a lot for both of her daughters to process. Would they even accept that it was him?

As Reeha's son and daughters made their way toward her, she kept an 'eye' on them. Although, an odd burst caught her attention as her own daughter's mind moved toward Lita. Her eyes widened, but just as quickly as it'd happened, it was over - and there was no more she could discern from it without asking outright.

Ki'fel and Sel'wara were approaching by the time she heard Reeha calling out to her. She blinked several times, then prepared herself, waiting for her daughter with her three children who had likely made it to her by then. She greeted the trio with a disoriented smile, that was somehow simultaneously both distant and warm as her mind 'snapped' back into place.

Sel'wara made no connection on Vetis' identity until Ki'fel rushed forward from his own surprise. Her brows knitted, her own golden eyes widening. The approach wasn't nearly as quick. Rather, it was oddly slow when one took Selly's wild amounts of energy into account.

Where Reeha recoiled, the younger sister approached with caution. She didn't mean to ignore the Tiefling and rather, her curiosity about her blue skin would have otherwise drawn her to her (and likely still would once the shock had worn off enough). But that name... that name she'd heard so many times before in stories that hadn't been told to her or her sister for years...

"Did you say...?" The bronze-scaled female looked warily between Ki'fel and Vetis. Where Reeha sported shards, the amethyst on her own scales were nearly hidden: pale, nearly iridescent flecks that only truly stood out as light hit them.

But there went her attention span until Vetis or Ki'fel was able to clarify: 'doomed land' caught her focus and her gaze snapped almost frantically toward Lita. "I'm sorry, what?" And then as if her shock over her father potentially standing before her was already gone (even if it wasn't): "Where are the others? Are they here? Are they okay? What is going on?"
    Silvy Dean
    Silvy Dean
    The Fearless Leader

Post by Silvy Dean Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:22 am

Vetis turned to watch Ki'fel for a moment then gestured to a large beast he had lead up to the stall. On it's back was tied a heavy large package, that even the creature did not seem comfortable carrying. "We should get going." Was all he would say as his eyes dared to drift in Selly's direction, unsure of what to make or say of the situation.

Lita rubbed at her temple a little more, it wasn't so much that Reeha invaded without warning, was what she saw during that sudden intrusion that had her wanting to be quiet. When Selly spoke to her she only nodded slightly at Vetis before starting to walk in the direction Reeha had flown off to. Though Vetis would wait a moment to see if any would lead the way, a hand held up from Ki'fel would give him pause before nodding and following Lita. Leaving Ki'fel and Selly to stand behind a moment.

"I'm not sure what is going on, sia itov. But something serious.. two people I thought dead suddenly standing before us." He moved to place an arm around her shoulders. "Do you need a moment? Or would you rather find out what is going on right this minute?" Though he had viewed both Lita and Vetis as family, Vetis was Selly's actual father. He could not imagine the thoughts or feelings going through her mind right then. The beast of burden slowly ambled through the sand behind Vetis, struggling to keep upright.

---

Reeha landed shortly after she took flight. Seemed her mother wasn't as far away from where they had run into Lita. There were many questions, and that nagging fear growing in her stomach. Joona offered to hug Jili first, a wide smile while he greeted his grandmother. Dawnthie was holding Sirii's hand huddled close and watching her mother carefully.

"Dask? Is..." Reeha gave a curt nod to her youngest and moved closer to Jili waiting for the embrace to stop. For the moment, the children grew quiet, though Reeha attempted to hold a regal and unfazed appearance, the children could tell that something had spooked her.

"Jili..." Reeha gave a soft respectful bow to her mother while offering a polite smile to her children to try and reassure them things were alright. "You called for us?" Through her mind, however, was the question ~"Are you okay?"~
    Codex
    Codex
    Cinnamon Tiefling

Post by Codex Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Selly's attention shot toward Vetis as he spoke, and for a moment that confused, conflicted, quiet shock returned to her features. Her mouth opened as if to say something, but slowly closed as he started off. Lita's silence only further added to her confusion.

For a time, she said nothing and only watched the Bronze and the Tiefling depart. She became visibly torn by this, between wanting to follow after, but needing a moment to process and understand what had just happened. When Ki'fel's question snapped her out of whatever deep train of thought she was on, she looked toward him with a frown. "It doesn't feel like we have time to take a moment right now. It'll have to wait..."

She moved to take a step after the others, pausing only to see if her mate would walk with her. If she needed to, she would wait for him; she would not follow after them without him. However, she spoke as she moved regardless, and even then, her pace was slower than what was normal for her.

"Is it really him then? The one Reeha and I, and even J'nasim had heard so many stories about?" Her footsteps practically dragged through the sand for a moment rather than carrying her with the grace she very well could have inherited from Vetis. "How is this possible?" There it was: that same thing seemed to do every time something vexing crossed their path. She turned to Ki'fel in hopes that he had answers that she did not, her flickering amber eyes wide and settled on his face.

Meanwhile, Jili was happy to greet Joona, an affectionate hand settling atop his head as she smiled to him, but also through him until she slowly began to regain her focus. "Hello, you." Warmth filled her tone, and yet she still seemed distracted by something.

She watched Reeha closely as she approached, perhaps even seeing through her attempts at keeping her composure the way her children likely did. Though if she did, it came in hints from body language - and from what her mind experienced while 'watching' them nearby.

"I did," she replied to her daughter, looking at first between her three grandchildren with fondness before she allowed a subtle look of concern show in her features as she looked back to Reeha - perhaps in response to the question she felt in her mind. "We'll speak of why I've called you all here soon, but we need to wait for the rest first."

And so in the meantime, the Amethyst took advantage of that moment to try and press into Reeha's mind in return - not to dig around, but to ask her a question. ~"Are you alright?"~
    Silvy Dean
    Silvy Dean
    The Fearless Leader

Post by Silvy Dean Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Reeha hesitated responding to her mother. She wasn’t okay, not after that. Between the still splitting headache and the… individual wandering around with her father’s name, it was all she could do to keep herself in check.

“I don’t like it when you both exclude us from the conversations.” Sirii spoke up. Dawnthi shifted her gaze from mother to grandmother before turning to watch as the blue figure approached with a large man and a oxen behind him. The oxen looked near ready to buckle under the large sacks upon it’s back. The man looked nervous and the blue tiefling before him looked as if she paled a few shades since she first saw her. “It isn’t hard to notice when you two are talking to each other. You become limited in what you have to say to us. Why not just include us? We’re adult enough to be part of the conversation now. You both know that, right?” Reeha took a moment to glance at her mother.

“Oh stuff it, Sirii.” Joona piped in as he leaned against Jili in a baby boy manner. “When they are ready to talk to us about it they will. When you start harping in like that, just shows you’re still immature.” The two glared at each other waiting for the catalyst words to be spoken so they could fight. However, before either could even take a breath, Reeha stepped between them, air around her sparking to life with bright pops of light along her horns.

“That is enough, both of you. We are awaiting your aunt and uncle… and there is perhaps some rather… displeasing news about to come.” If that response didn’t answer her mother’s mindful question… “Once everyone who is to gather has gathered, we will find out what it is all about.” Reeha’s gaze slowly shifted toward Vetis, overlooking the tiefling and catching eyes with the man. He looked like a sad scruffy beggar, not at all the tall dark handsome young bronze that swept her mother off her feet so many years ago. Nothing at all like her mother’s stories. What if he was just some vagabond out for power and whatever else he could manage to manipulate them out of? After all the heart break and literal torture her mother had gone through in the past after Vetis’ death, this was a very unwelcome and suspicious meeting.

Vetis continued to guide the oxen along toward the small group awaiting just outside a large tent. One hand holding up the side of the sacks to try and keep the beast steady in the sand. While he himself had no problem; in fact, walked with a strange grace on the shifting sands. He would walk right past Lita, not even noticing her stopping to look back at Selly and Ki’fel. His eyes had caught with Reeha’s and that expression upon her face had him feel as though he should shrink back into the waters. ~”I do not think they are so happy to see me, sia itov. I wish we could have done a better meeting than randomly running into each other while attempting to flee a unknown danger.”~ He reached to Jili for comfort and guidance the closer he got.

By the time he was within speaking distance he finally was able to look away from Reeha’s angry gaze to the children surrounding them. Dawnthi’s bright eyes were what drew him in, with a pleasantly happy smile she mouthed the words. ‘Hello grandfather.’ He paused for a moment, tears welling slightly in the corners of his eyes he offered her a smile back. Something about her silent greeting seemed to help calm his aching and worry more than even Jili’s words. He then looked to all of them with the same kind smile behind that scruffy dark grey speckled beard.

“You have no idea how happy I am to see you all, and how I wish more than anything we had time to sit here and talk.” His eyes went from the grand children to Jili and finally Reeha with a more serious expression. “However, Lita my tiefling companio, is a clairvoyant. She has foreseen a danger that is right around the corner. Rather than wait until that danger risks the lives of you all, we need to move. I have thought of a place, warm and hopefully big enough for all of us.” He pauses looking behind him to Ki’fel and Selly. Both are slowly shuffling toward them still and thus he pauses in saying much else till they are closer by and able to hear.

Lita had stopped, letting Vetis continue on ahead. Not ready to face the children, though granted they were young adults now, she still viewed them as babies. Instead she looked to Selly and Ki’fel who seemed to be slowly making their way along and waited for them.

“I understand.” Ki’fel responded to Selly at first. Walking in pace with her while offering his arm for support. He too felt floored. “He looks older and more haggard than I remember. But I could never forget the intensity his eyes always held. I believe it is him, or at least hope that it is. Though I am not sure how.” He responded. “From what your mother shared with me so long ago, I was sure he was dead as well. Though…” he gave a soft squeeze of Selly’s hand as he hesitated to suggest what was on his mind. It was then he realized that Lita was getting closer to them as they walked further. So he finished his thought through their bond. ~”What if it is not him? What if it is that black dragon again? Playing tricks and causing heart ache all over again… I do worry about such things.”~

“Hurry up you two. There is no telling when the flames will start. I know things are hard to comprehend right now, but there is no time to sit and dwell. We’ve miles to go before we can rest.” Lita piped up, though not meaning to sound as demanding as such. Hopefully, her tone and everything made it clear how dire the situation was. Ki’fel gave a nod and again would squeeze Selly’s hand with a gentile pull.

“We’re coming.” He responded. With that Lita looked to Selly then to Ki’fel, an odd feeling of jealousy rising up she spun in the sand and started to try and catch up to Vetis once more.
    Codex
    Codex
    Cinnamon Tiefling

Post by Codex Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:38 pm

The glance that Jili passed Sirii was almost a surprised one. She looked upon her with a curiously canted head and the faint hint of a smile. After taking a second to meet Reeha's glance, she looked back down toward the three.

For a time, she said nothing - allowed Sirii to voice her opinion and for Joona to jump into the fray, as it were. Her hand patted one of the boy's shoulders with fondness. A hint of pride swelled in Jili's throat as their mother handled the situation. At first, she only added to her words with nods and confirmation. Whatever the case, she did not press the matter at Reeha's hesitation. She only nodded once more. As tempted as she was to probe her daughter's mind, she held too much respect for her children to do so unless the circumstances seemed dire.

Instead, she followed Reeha's gaze as if she hoped that would give her insight into what her eldest daughter was thinking. Granted, from her angle, she could only see that she was watching one of the two approaching - and she did her best not to assume which one had given her concern. Jili could only frown.

As she heard Vetis' words in her mind, her frown deepened. ~"It is a great shock, and Reeha is very apprehensive after the things that have happened to us in the past. She has her children and herself that she must protect, and I wonder sometimes if she tries to count me among them. She is our skeptic, Itov."~ She paused as she watched him with fondness, and sure enough, she offered him a warm pulse of affection, the closer he came.

~"Sel'wara is our idealist. She may simply be surprised, but with as many stories as she's read and listened to, she may be easier to get through to - especially if Ki'fel shows you familiarity..."~ Jili smiled faintly as they came closer. ~"Hopefully we will all have time to talk soon."~

While Jili missed the mouthed words of her granddaughter, she didn't miss the reaction that came from Vetis afterward. One hand placed itself over her hear, her smile warming. But just as easily, it sobered again. There was a lot that needed to be tended to.

She looked instead in Ki'fel and Selly's direction.

Selly's expression brightened with a hint of hope as he spoke. There was some kind of familiarity in Ki'fel's words, she gathered, and it was enough to get her to smile faintly. "What if it's like that book with the husband who was gone for twenty years, and his wife told all of her would-be suitors that she would choose a new husband as soon as she finished weaving her shroud, and she kept undoing it every night in secret while she waited for him to return? And he came home in disguise?" Her pace quickened slightly at that, but just like that, went back to normal as she all but wilted with uncertainty, listening to Ki'fel through their bond. ~"Perhaps... though to see a storybook unfold would be nicer..."~ A hesitant disappointment flashed in her 'tone' before she was distracted by Lita's words. She blinked a few times, furrowed her brow at the odd feeling that pinched behind the bridge of her nose and twisted her stomach, and looked to Ki'fel, who'd already begun to gently tug her. Just like that, or with as much enthusiasm as she could muster, she picked up her pace to join the others at her mate's side.

And as they did, Jili looked on, ever silent, from person to person - and finally to Lita, as though she herself was unsure of how to begin or what to say.
    Silvy Dean
    Silvy Dean
    The Fearless Leader

Post by Silvy Dean Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Once the group had fully gathered, Lita realized nearly everyone had their eyes upon her. Ki’fel and Dawnthi were focused on Selly more than the entire group. With a slow gulp, the tiefling moved over so that she could meet everyone’s gaze. Reeha had her arms crossed and was standing strategically between Vetis and her son, Joona. Dawnthi moved slowly away from Sirii to stand closer and greet both her aunt and uncle with a hug and a arm touch. Sirii hardly noticed this, as she was standing to mimic her mother’s stance… Joona simply stared at Lita, because she was pretty.

After only a moment, all attention eventually was on the tiefling. “I know, you are all wanting to ask questions. Few if any of you trust me, and that is understandable considering what you’ve experienced thus far. However we do not really have much time for explanation. It is best we head South South West as far as we can get. What is happening is far beyond all of your abilities combined. I miscalculated what was about to happen, and I am sorry for that. If I could have made it here sooner, perhaps this would have been an easier reunion. For your safety, for your families safety, we must go now. I will remain behind for only a short while, because there are others I want to try and get to before this region is turned to ash.” Just those last words caused Sirii to move closer to her mother and brother. Dawnthi reached for Selly’s free hand and offered a soft smile. Dawnthi always had her quiet way of defusing any anxiety that might well up. Just being around her offered a air of calm.

“Then you will not be coming with us to help explain any of this?” Reeha spoke up. There was a sudden movement of Lita’s hand as if to block out Reeha all together.

“I will be there shortly after you’ve settled. This is more of a family thing anyway…” She could not help but glance Ki’fel’s way then to Vetis. “You hardly know me anymore. It has been years. We’ll have our chance to talk again.” She said to them both. “But if anything, I have to at least try to save a few more souls while there is time, otherwise… what good is seeing such a thing ahead of time? I just wanted to make sure you all got out safely first.” Reeha’s eyes narrowed then turned to her children. She even gestured for Dawnthi to move along with her. The kids need not say anything, as their mother was pretty much the one they would listen to in a heart beat. As if the perfect compass were in front of her she moved directly South South West. She only glanced back at her mother for a moment, then her sister and Ki’fel.

“We’ll move slow enough so that we’re not separated, but if we’re to leave.. might as well leave now. No time for chat, right?” There was a hint of bitter and anger to her voice before she ushered the young dragons ahead of her. Vetis watched Lita for a moment then moved toward Jili the moment there was a clear path without Reeha and the grandkids blocking him.

“Go, Ki’fel Selly and I will make sure to help the supplies along and move quickly.” He turned back to look at his daughter and her mate. “Maybe we can talk while we travel a bit?” He had heard Jili’s words, and was frankly hoping that perhaps she was right. “Talk with Reeha… help her through a bit maybe?” He leaned in offering a kiss on her cheek. Ki’fel never let go of Selly’s hand. Only nodding at Vetis’ suggestion.

His attention moved over to Lita as she started to walk away, brows furrowing as she did not look back his direction even a glance. ~”I am sure that is her… but she is so different and distant. I wish I knew what happened. Vetis seems the same, tired but the same. This could be the story you were talking about. Though I am not sure why the disguise of a haggard old man.”~ he spoke through the bond and looked to Selly. ~”Maybe we’ll get the answers first after all.”~ he offered her a smile, though she would probably be able to see through to the nervousness he felt about the entire situation.
    Codex
    Codex
    Cinnamon Tiefling

Post by Codex Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Selly left an inquisitive stare resting on Lita first as she spoke. Her head remained canted, and her attention only broke from the Tiefling long enough to greet Dawnthi with a warm hug and a whispered. "Hello, beautiful." She offered her niece an affectionate pat on the head before she refocused, her brow furrowing - but her hand accepting hers as she felt her reaching. Sure enough, her nerves were settled just a little, and in their place was contemplation and curiosity. After Reeha spoke, and especially as Lita raised her hand, Selly's eyes narrowed.

Another few seconds passed before she spoke up. "It would be easier if we knew what was coming..." However, she trailed off and went silent as Lita addressed both Ki'fel and Vetis. All that came from her then was a quiet "Hm" that followed her statement.

Both Jili and Selly were visibly surprised by Reeha's tone (though granted, Selly moreso - Jili only watched her thoughtfully). As Vetis came closer, his mate looked toward him apologetically. "I will do what I can, Itov. I think if she'll let me share a memory with her, a very specific memory... she might be able to truly see you." At the kiss to her cheek, she smiled and reached a hand out to place her right hand to the side of his face, stroking a thumb down along his facial hair. ~"Good luck, Itov. Reach out if you need me."~

After watching Reeha go, Selly looked from her mother and apparent father to Ki'fel as she heard his voice through their bond. Her expression softened. ~"Is the blue one alright? Were you two good friends? I could not gather much from the look on her face earlier. Like not being sure how to approach an old acquaintance after many years..."~ Her head tilted and she smiled at him, albeit just as nervously. Waiting until Jili had walked off, Selly discovered her moment of boldness as she gave her mate's hand a squeeze. Slowly letting out a deep breath, she looked to Vetis, and finally spoke directly to him. "Is it really you... Opsola?" There was pensiveness in her voice, her speed quickening just enough to help Ki'fel and Vetis with the oxen. But the wheels in her mind were turning; it might have even been apparent in her gaze.

Jili took longer strides to catch up to Reeha and her children. And as she did, she gently reached into her mind with a simple call. ~"Reeha?"~ She moved to fall in pace with her daughter and grandchildren, looking between them with a warm, but nervous smile. ~"I wish not to pry into your mind; I would much rather discuss it with you. I know you are at the very least tense."~
    Silvy Dean
    Silvy Dean
    The Fearless Leader

Post by Silvy Dean Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Ki'fel watched the exchange between Jili and Vetis quietly. Part of him perhaps was being more observant than normal, if just to protect his mate from any false idols. What he witnessed seemed genuine enough, but part of him was still skeptical to a point. Selly's questions about Lita would not go completely unanswered.

~”She was my best friend for the longest time. We grew up together. Around the same time Vetis left, she disappeared. I know she did not leave with him, as I was there when he departed. With everything that happened in the kingdom, I thought she had... more than likely been killed. I admit part of me was heart broken, but now seeing her here... I feel angry that she seems so distant. The Lita I knew would have rushed to hug me, not cower away from my touch like she did before. Maybe, we should talk about this later...”~ To him, Reeha's reaction seemed fitting. Neither Vetis nor Lita were like he remembered them, and that made him nervous. The family had faced long hardships, and for the longest time Jili was encased in her own bubble. Distant even from her children since the visit to the black dragons lair. Before he could say much more he quieted at the squeeze of his hand and opened his eyes wide when Selly moved forward to speak with Vetis.

Vetis had watched Jili as she left, a smile hidden just under his scruffy beard, but the loving gaze followed her along the sands ahead of them. Hearing Selly speak up, and being called father in draconic made him pause as a sudden memory was thrust back to him of when Ki'fel lost his own father. He blinked, surprised at the feeling that filled his chest hearing that name spoken by his daughter for the first time. With a soft smile he held out his free left hand toward her. Though scruffy and old looking, there was a strong intensity to his eyes and a shimmer that would be easy to find in his bronze scales; given a little polish.

“I am, but anyone can just say those words.” He gave the oxen a soft shove to get it moving through the sands again. Ki'fel took to the animal's side and, with ease of a young well rested steal dragon, lifted a good portion of the burden from the beast's back so that it would be quicker. Though he did not wish to leave Selly's side, he felt like at least a little space for them to talk was needed. He would at least stay within reach however, listening carefully. “If I had the skill your mother had... I would show you everything I had gone through to find you all.”

“So you knew about them?” Ki'fel asked suddenly. There was a moment of silence as Vetis found himself corrected by the sharp tongue. “You drowned in the mists, according to Jili. She showed me, allowed me to feel your death to help bring closure to my own loss of you.” He added.

“Alright. I did not know I had children. I had been robbed of all of that.” Vetis spoke up, but not angry. His metallic voice was still calm even as he admitted to his mistake of saying he had been looking for them all when he only knew of Jili. “But I was driven to find Jili the moment that prison finally released me.” Vetis walked along side the beast, but hung back just enough to be close to Selly. “Ki'fel, when I left the kingdom, it had only been a week or so when the mists took me to where I met Jili. There was an island of souls trapped by those mists. Jili captured my heart the moment I saw her. I gave myself up to her entirely. I promised to free her from that island and give her a home with a family if she'd have me.” He turned looking at Selly with a gentile loving expression. “Even if she had never wanted me, I would have still dove to the depths of that prison again if it were to free her.”

Ki'fel stayed quiet as far as Vetis could tell. ~”Sel'wara, keep him talking. Ask for details, such as where he came from. How he escaped. It is hard for me to see any differences between the Vetis I knew and the one here before us. Maybe if you keep asking him questions we'll know for sure. Either he'll slip up or he is the real deal.”~

Reeha paused just long enough for her mother to catch up and walk side by side. She felt her mother's words more than heard them in her mind. There was, however a glare over Sirii's shoulder before she locked hands with Dawnthi and pushed ahead at a slightly faster pace to catch up with Joona.

“She's gotten more intolerable the longer their father is away. I wish he would come home already.” She muttered before glancing her mother's way. “Thank you for not pressing into my mind. I am still a little sore after that tiefling's … whatever that was.” She gave a soft bow to her mother then pushed her eyes forward. Then after a moment of quietly walking, “How do you know it is him?” She hesitated a moment, but more than likely interrupted her mother before she could respond.

“He looks nothing like what you described. Ragged and dull scaled. This could very well be that dark dragon's trickery again. Who knows the kind of magic she can spin... Nearly an entire life wiped out from our minds. I still have blurry faces and places that I cannot bring to the forefront of my memories. Especially with her. All I see when I try to remember that place, and the things that happened... is darkness.” Her tone became darkened and she went silent for a moment. “If this is her doing, rubbing our father's likeness and name all over open wounds, I will kill her myself.” She said then clenched her teeth and took in a deep breath. For all that, she still attempted to hold her head up, sharing in the same grace her father did for walking in the sand.

Meanwhile, ahead of them.. Joona struggled to walk in the sand while Sirii helped Dawnthi to balance as they surpassed him along the path. “Hurry up, Joona. Or the sand sharks will get you.” Chimed Sirii over her shoulder.
    Codex
    Codex
    Cinnamon Tiefling

Post by Codex Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm

For perhaps the first time since her childhood, a hint of her own jealousy flared in the pit of Selly's stomach. She shot Ki'fel a sidelong glance and hesitated to say anything further of the matter - at least for then. She instead looked in the direction Lita had gone, and again, her eyes narrowed, a faint, metallic thrum sounding briefly in the pit of her throat. It was then that she'd gone to rejoin Vetis.

Selly, shaking whatever negative thoughts threatened her mind, returned Vetis' smile as she drew in a deep breath and reached out to try and take the Bronze's hand once he extended his arm. Closely, she studied his face as he spoke - studied the texture of his hair, of his beard, of the pores in his face and the area around his eyes. The intensity was not lost on her; she even blinked a few times before she looked down at his hand, traced a fingertip along the lines in his palm as if reading it while the two spoke. All the while, she walked with them - not setting the pace, but keeping it. Her brow furrowed in thought.

To Ki'fel's suggestion, she only nodded. Her head canted to one side as she looked back up at who she hoped was truly her father, even with a faint smile. "How did you escape from the prison you speak of? Why did Dask feel your death?"

Her emotion twisted into one of nervousness as she occasionally glanced toward her mate. What if it really wasn't Vetis and this storybook notion was just some naive coping mechanism?

Jili could only frown at Sirii's glaring. She held no hard feelings about it - merely understood. It was the equivalent of whispering in front of mixed company, but some things she didn't wish to say in front of Reeha's children. Her frown simply deepened before she looked back toward her daughter.

"Ah, yes. Lita. It is dangerous to enter her mind, for both of you, but especially for her-"

But sure enough, she was cut off. Her head turned to look toward Reeha, smiling sadly. "I did not recognize him at first, perhaps especially because of that ragged appearance. My memories of him were locked away. He called me by name, and at first, I felt nothing. He tried so hard, but I could not recall. I feel he might have been ready to walk away in defeat, but he... tried one more thing. And something about it..." Her brow furrowed; she looked toward her daughter. "That smell, like bronze washed up on the shore long ago by a playful tide. Salt and sand and metal and sometimes driftwood. I closed my eyes and it all came rushing back: all the joy and all the pain, condensed into one moment. He was there again, and all I had to do to confirm it was look into his eyes. That same intensity was there. And Reeha, there was also... this." Digging through her pocket, she pulled free the pouch he'd given her: the pieces of the charm he'd held onto all those years, albeit broken - but likely reminiscent of at least one story Jili had told them in their younger years.

However, when she had am oment, she spoke up of the Black Dragon that had been responsible for the wiping of their memories. "Danthe [Dear]... I understand your desire for vengeance, especially with how much of your mind was taken from you. However, I perhaps wonder if that energy might be better put toward your mate and perhaps... searching for him someday, if you ever worry that he's been gone too long. I cannot say I blame Sirii for her tongue; she has been without a father, and you without your mate. It is a painful thing to endure. How have you been living with it?"

Jili, of course, had the same sort of trouble Joona did - having to make more of an effort to traverse the sands and lacking in her mate's and her daughter's and granddaughter's grace. She however didn't seem to mind too much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content